For your listening pleasure.....


Get a playlist! Standalone player Get Ringtones

Thursday, October 15, 2009

FLAN!

Remember how I said that work inspires me to make lists?? Well last week on my last night the inspiration juices were flowing...again; and I suddenly felt like I needed to tackle the art of making flan. David and I have gone to visit my sister and brother-in-law a few times and have been taken to a spanish restaurant after church. It was here that we decided that we LOVE flan.


SO. I googled "flan" and stumbled upon this recipe that didn't seem like it would be too hard. And indeed, it wasn't. I feel like maybe you should try making it. I think your life my be greatly enhanced once you have this little piece of heaven!

Here is what you'll need:

1 cup of white sugar
4 eggs
1 14 oz can of sweetened condensed milk
1 12 oz can of evaporated milk
1 tablespoon of vanilla extract
A 9 inch glass baking dish
And some sort of pan (vague right? I'll explain in a minute)

And here is what you do:

1. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.  Take your random pan and fill it with water. Careful not to spill (I of course did ; )   ) and place it in the oven. Place your empty glass baking dish in the "water bath" and allow your dish to heat up while the oven is heating up.


2.  While all of that is happening, in a saucepan melt the cup of sugar over medium-low heat. This takes a little while. Make sure you don't stir the sugar...just tilt to saucepan back and forth, like so:


It will look nice and golden brown and yummy when its done




3. Once the sugar is melted, remove your baking dish, carefully, and pour the hot syrup into the dish. Turn the dish in order to coat the bottom and sides.





4. In a large bowl, beat the eggs. Beat in the condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract. Pour the mixture into your baking dish.

5. Cover it with aluminum foil and bake in the oven for 60 minutes. When its done baking immediately put it in the refrigerator to cool. Let it cool for a number of hours.

6. Wait to serve it until its completely cool. Carefully invert the baking dish onto the serving dish. And this is what it should look like right before you indulge (obviously without a slice cut out of it)  : )

 

Enjoy



No comments:

Post a Comment